Monday, June 27, 2016

Dowling Tries On Valenti Modifing Racing Series For Size

Posted by Wayne G. Barber
   Another young driver has thrown his hat into the Valenti Modified
Racing Series ring. Seventeen year old Chase Dowling made a visit to
the Seekonk Speedway on Sat. 6/4 for the MRS 100.
  The Roxbury,CT, 2015 Sunoco rookie of the year on the Whelen
modified tour has wanted to try an MRS event and when car owner Bob
Katon offered Dowling the opportunity, Chase thought it was a great
idea.
  "I didn't sit in this car until this morning to adjust the belts,
and after we arrived we had to make a couple of modifications to the
car to pass the MRS inspection".


    Dowling amassed 23 wins in the World Karting Assoc. between
2007-2009 taking down 4 national championships along the way before
moving into the SK lites where he earned 7 wins in 2013 claiming
rookie of the year and adding one more victory in 2014.

  Dowling added " It's not only the first time in this car, its also
the first time at this track. We only had  one practice round then the
heat race. It's a good learning experience because we'll be here later
with the Whelen tour."

   In his rookie year (2015) with the Whelen tour Dowling ran 15 times
with an impressive 1 top 5 and 8 top 10 finishes ranking him 9th in
the final standings. In 2016 in 4 starts he had 1 top 10.

  "Racing is racing and the more seat time the better. The MRS is a
real good series with lots of good drivers and its good competition. I
would like to run more MRS races, I like the  travel and of course the
more races the better for me, It's up to Bob but I'm all for it."

   Starting 14th Dowling battled the MRS regulars eventually moving
into the top 5 at the halfway mark and eventually finishing 6th. It
was an outstanding run.

  "I started 14th and I tried to save tires and get the feel for the
car, I tried different lines managing my equipment and I gave as much
feedback to my crew for what we needed. I learned  a lot tonight and
had fun, I think the guys had fun too."

Source: Interview by Jim Snape
Photos by Simply the Best, Crystal Snape

No comments:

Post a Comment