Thursday, June 16, 2016

First Time Winner in the Limited Sportsman at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park

Posted by Wayne G. Barber

For the second race in a row at Thompson the Xtra Mart Limited Sportsman series saw a first time winner with Brent Gleason making a strong statement after starting in the top three and surviving several cautions to take the checkered flag. Gleason had to fight off a hard charging Ryan Waterman to take the checkered flag in the 20-lap feature. After his win Gleason reflected on his first ever Limited Sportsman victory calling it a moment nine years in the making.

“This means everything. It’s been nine years of hard work and a lot of struggle, heartache and money spent. To finally be here is overwhelming really,” said Gleason. “It’s amazing to be here right now. I had a feeling about tonight all year and we just kind of worked it out. I made a really good move, the two leaders got together and I just held on as long as I could.” Ryan Waterman held on for second with Scott Sundeen, points leader Josh Wood, and the winner of the June 1st event at Thompson, Phil Jacques, rounding out the top five.
I can't describe how much this means to me. I've spent 9 years struggling, working, trying, just to be here today. All I've ever done up to this moment was blow up engines and finish mediocre. Every single night I spent in the garage, the years I spent working on these cars, the sleepless nights trying to figure something out. To finally see it come to fruition is the greatest individual moment of my life, aside from getting married and seeing my son born, of course.
Thank yo...u to my Mom Sharon, for spending 17 years watching BOTH her sons race, even coming to the track with a wig on in the hot summer during her cancer treatments. My dad Roger, for giving me a second chance at a racing career and for always being there when I needed him. We are the only funding on this car. My brother Jesse for all the help he gives me, for being an awesome uncle to my son, and for the years he mentored me and taught me the art of driving a race car. This win is for him. My wife Megan for understanding what racing meant to me and to support me through it all, I love you dear. To Terry Brick and the guys at TLB Auto Machine, thanks for your help over the years to give the last of the low-dollar dinosaurs a chance at glory. To Daniel Lajeunesse and Jason Paquette, thanks for the years of sponsor help and friendship back in my mini stock days. To Phil Jacques for his continued friendship and being one of the few people to remind me that I had what it took to belong here.
I know I'm forgetting some people, but if you were in my shoes right now, I think you'd understand. Thanks to everyone who ever believed in me over the years. Vindication is finally mine and I will savor every last drop of it.
101Brent Gleason20
275Ryan Waterman20
336Scott Sundeen20
451Joshua Wood20
577Phil Jacques20
673Larry Barnett20
752Al Stone20
838Corey Hutchins20
911Jack Aquilina20
1088Frank L'Etoile Jr20
1155Ed Puleo20
127Troy Waterman20
1313Jeff VanPelt20
1427Ed Correia20
1510Hank Stott20
1647Dan Coutu20
1745Tommy Shea19
1831James Bendiak7

No comments:

Post a Comment