Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Star Classic Results

Shaw Victorious on Star Classic Weekend by James Snape & Photos bySimply the Best Crystal Snape
 
DJ Shaw of Center Conway, NH emerged victorious in the GSPSS portion of the star classic weekend. After his impressive run from last to first place in his heat race, Shaw started the hundred lap grind from the third row and methodically worked his way to the front, settling into second place behind race leader Joe Squeglia of Derry, NH, who started from the pole and was setting a quick pace.
.
On a lap 33 restart Shaw powered by Squeglia on the outside and from that point on, Shaw took command of the race. While Shaw was on cruise control up front, behind him was a constant scramble for positions.
GSPSS stand out and current points leader Derek Griffith of Hudson, NH, who was victorious on the last visit to Star was involved in a heat race skirmish that relegated him to a 22nd starting spot in the feature. But Griffith, definitely a fan favorite, worked both grooves finding himself fifth by the half way mark. As the laps wound down the competition only got tougher.
With 15 to go Shaw pulled away while Matt Frahm of Salem, NH, Griffith and Jacob Dore of Sanford, ME, who started mid-pack ran under a blanket for second place.
With eight laps to go Griffith powered by Frahm on the inside for second place and one lap later Dore used the same move on Frahm to slip into the final podium spot.
At the checkers Shaw secured the win, ahead of Griffith with Dore a bumper behind.
Matt Frahm was fourth with Joe Squegila rounding out the top five.
Sixth through 10th was Babe Branscombe, Mike Parks, Barry Gray, Dylan Moltz and Nick Sweet.
In victory lane Shaw said "It was pretty good there, starting up front is key to a race like this and Griffith had to work really hard to get to where he got to with the heat race misfortune. That made it easier for me, but he was definitely the second best car, but it took him 10 or 15 laps too long to get there, fortunately for us, it was a 100 lapper. My only worry in this race is when Griffith got to fourth, I thought he might dice through the top two or three a lot quicker than he did. The 03 (Squegila) was really tough to pass, but I had a great car tonight and it made my job easy".
Griffith commented, "I had to wheel the thing, it was just so good. I could put it anywhere I wanted, but racing with these guys, they really know how to race, and they know how to use you up. I was on that outside groove and not a lot of people want to go there and not a lot of people could go there. Racing side-by-side, bumper to bumper for laps on end beats up the car. Those first few laps I really didn't want to beat it up and I knew I couldn't because it would hurt me in the long run. We had a stout car because we were catching DJ at the end, wish we had 10 more laps, it was just an excellent night, DJ really had a good car tonight. He's a class act. I love racing with him and Louie always sets up a great car and my team never fails me, ever. I'm really proud of them. I'm just happy and proud to be able to drive this car, I'm in awe."
Third place, Dore commented "we tried to ride at the beginning, we picked them off when we could. We ran easy on the bottom and had some restarts on the top. There wasn't many passing on the top, maybe just me and DJ, but DJ was definitely the class of the field, I felt pretty confident to run second, but once we got up there and on the restart, DJ just smoked us and we couldn't get to the bottom, the guys on the bottom did their best to shut me out and they drove in deeper, which messed up my line, they didn't do anything anybody else wouldn't have done, can't be mad at them. I would have liked more laps to do something with the 12 car. I think we were a little better than him in the corners, but he had a little more horsepower than we did. I could put the car anywhere, I really liked the bottom. I tried Squegila on the bottom and he pinched me off, and when I tried the top he just came up the track, so he did his best keep me at bay, but I caught up to him and I think he burnt his stuff up. DJ was the class of the field, but I thought I was even with Derek Griffith."

One Race to go at New London Waterford Speed Bowl Oct. 24 150 laps
 
Heat winners were #60, DJ Shaw – 21, Nick Sweet – 14 M, Matt Frahm
Track – Star Speedway, Epping, New Hampshire
Race – Star Classic Weekend.
Entrance – 23.
Caution – 11 – lap 2, 10, 22, 32, 41, 48, 48, 63, 73, 75, 76
 
Finish.
1 – 60 – DJ Shaw
2 – 12 – Derek Griffith
3 – 05 – Jacob Dore
4 – 14 M – Matt Frahm
5 – 03 – Joe Squegila
6 – 38 – Babe Branscombe
7 – 66 – Mike Parks
8 – 29 – Barry Gray
9 –5 – Dillon Moltz
10 – 21 NH – Nick Sweet
11 – 98 – Steve Dicky
12 – 37Me – Larry Gelinas
13 – 06 – Dan Colby
14. – 51 NH – Jeremy Harclerode
15 – 1 CT – Cory Casagrande
16 – 16 – Tommy O'Sullivan
17 – 08 – Mike O'Sullivan
18 – 92 – Billy Brady
19 – 35 – Bobby Nadeau
20 – 32 – Steve Murphy
21 – 21 – Josh King
22 – 11 – Steve Johnson
23 – 28 – Greg Nanigian
photos by Crystal Snape
 

No comments:

Post a Comment